Friday 8 October 2021

Genesis


7th October 2021

Glasgow Hydro

Twenty four hours on, and I still find myself unsure what to think of this gig.  Genesis (one of THE BIG FIVE) from my teenaged Prog-Years, undertaking a final tour, was certainly one not to be missed.  

But witnessing Phil Collins, not only struggling to walk, but also toiling to sing through many of the songs, left me feeling particularly uncomfortable.  One shudders to imagine what the vocals would have sounded like, without the sterling efforts of the brace of backing singers.  But even more disconcerting than the physical problems, was the fact Collins clearly is enduring cognitive issues too.  

Quite apart from the glaring forget-the-lyrics moments during Turn it On Again and Dancing With the Moonlit Knight (even with a script to hand), it became clear his razor-sharp wit has also begun to depart.  For some of his between songs banter was embarrassing to witness.  Not all, but enough.

It reminded me of the last time we saw Billy Connolly, a few years back.  Seeing the once erudite Billy grasp for words was just so sad.  And, at times, it felt the same with Phil this evening.

And yet, I was glad I went; for when the band hit their stride they were unbeatable.  To whit that stunning Cinema Show/Stagnation/Afterglow section.  Duchess and I Know What I Like were also highlights.

The short acoustic (not really acoustic at all) interlude, midway through the evening, was a pleasing surprise.  That's All perhaps my favourite Post-Hackett Genesis tune, was a bit of a train smash vocally.  But The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (performed using the Light Dies Down... arrangement) and Follow You, Follow Me just about passed muster.





But for me, the show was a good 20 minutes too long, and I felt the main performance could probably have finished after Domino - or even before it!  But, I suppose many of the less-wrinkly (than myself) attendees would have come along primarily to hear that trio of MTV-friendly, Lady Di tunes, which closed the main show.

For an encore we got the delightfully bonkers I Can't Dance and, after an incongruous few lines from Dancing With The Moonlit Knight, an utterly chilling rendition of The Carpet Crawlers.

I am becoming more convinced with every passing year that this last named truly represents the high water mark of the Peter Gabriel era.  The incurable optimist in me had hoped PG, or even Steve Hackett may have popped their head in to help out with this one.  Perhaps they will on the last night of the UK leg?

(Whenever that may be, for I learned today that bastard COVID had cancelled the rest of the 2021 UK dates).

Phil Collins

Nic Collins and Michael Rutherford.





Genesis - Glasgow - October 2021



  

Set list

Behind The Lines / Duke's End
Mama
Land of Confusion
Home By the Sea
Second Home By the Sea
Fading Lights
The Cinema Show (instrumental section, with a bit of Riding The Scree)
Afterglow
That's All
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Follow You, Follow me
Duchess
No Son of Mine
Firth of Fifth (instrumental section)
I Know What I Like / Stagnation snippet
Domino
Throwing It All Away
Tonight, Tonight, Tonight
Invisible Touch

Encore
I Can't Dance
Dancing With the Moonlit Night (opening)
The Carpet Crawlers










 

No comments:

Post a Comment